Yuri tagged me in the latest blog meme going around. This one asks the question ‘Why Do You Blog’ and you can track things at the Blog Meme Tracker that Michael Jensen has set up. Thanks Michael. This is the second time I’ve been tagged. If you remember back in December Yuri tagged me for the 5 Things You Didn’t Know About Me meme. And if you don’t remember, well now you have a link to learn a few things about me you might not have known. And now on with the show and the reasons I blog.
- Because I enjoy writing: Let’s face it if you blog you’re going to be writing a lot so you better enjoy it. Fortunately I do. Blogging isn’t easy. There are many nights when the last thing in the world I want to do is publish another post. Enjoying the act of writing helps a lot in getting posts finished on those days. Blogging gives me a chance to improve my writing skills daily and maybe one day those skills will be good enough to create the next great American novel.
- Because I enjoy reading: To maintain a blog for any length of time you have to read a lot of what else is out there. I love to read and even decided in part on my current career because I found myself wanting to read about it every night after work.
- Because I enjoy learning: I certainly don’t know everything, but I’m always looking to know more. Posts like this one on linkbait or this one on long tail keywords started simply as a desire to know more about something. I’d heard the terms, wanted to know what they were about, spent some time researching, and turned that research into a post.
- Because I have a tendency to teach: What’s the fun in all that learning if you can’t share it with someone. If I can help a few people make their sites a little better or show them how to drive traffic to their site or just help someone to understand something they didn’t before then it makes me feel like I’ve made a difference in this world. It always makes me feel good when someone leaves a comment here letting me know one of my posts helped them in some way.
- Because I have opinions: Hard to believe I know, but it’s true. Like most people I have an opinion on just about everything. Having a blog gives me a platform to express some of those opinions.
- Because I want to connect with other people: I want to know you. Whether you’re another blogger, a regular reader, or just someone who stumbles across a page here. Commenting on your blog, carrying your conversation here, or having you comment on something I’ve said gives me a chance to get to know you better.
- Because I want to be more transparent: I want you to know me. You’re never going to get to know me through a sales page and there’s only so much I can tell you about myself on an ‘About’ page. Through the blog I can reveal a little more about myself and let you know me better.
- Because I want to give you a reason to visit: I’m smart enough to know you’re not going to come back here again and again to read what services I offer. I want you to come back though, and so I need to offer you a reason. Hopefully the blog gives you a reason to visit again. And when you do feel free to leave a comment so I can get to know you better.
Now it’s your turn. I’ll tag
Download a free sample from my book, Design Fundamentals.
Why didn’t I think of tagging Corey Bryant? He’s one of the few people with real knowledge of e-commerce, payment processing, etc.
Adam it’s obvious. I’m just smarter than you are. Actually it was dumb luck. I chat with Corey most days since we’re both members of a couple of small business forums. I help him moderate one, though he does most of the work. He just happened to start a thread the other day about how he recently signed up for MyBlogLog. I had replied to the thread earlier in the day so Corey was connected with blogging in my head. Like I said just dumb luck.
It’s only fair though since I was planning on tagging you only to discover someone beat me to it.
How does it feel blogging for less than a month and already being involved in the latest meme sweeping the blogoshphere?
Wow. Cool. I wish someone tagged me :(. Guess I’m not lucky this time. I think I should have some great blogging friends to tag me and all. You tagged me last time, Van. That was really sweet.
Anyway, one thing is for sure. After reading your posts for more than 4-5 months, I know you love to write, read and research. It echoes in all your posts. Nice post, Van !! 🙂
Hey Sreejith. I thought I would tag a few other people this time just to be different, but if you take a look back up at the post you’ll see I’ve added you so consider yourself tagged. I don’t think there’s any strict rules on this one so I think it’s fine to tage six people.
Thanks for the compliments too. I do really enjoy blogging even if some days it’s more difficult than others. Hopefully the blog keeps improving. That’s certainly the goal. Thanks too for always reading. I always see you popping in and I appreciate it.
Flattering and a little bit creepy all at the same time. Thank you for watching Big Brother. Big Brother is watching you!
Just take it as a compliment. You’ve obviously made people aware of who you are, which is half the battle.
Oops !! I forgot to check the comments. Yepee !!! I’ve been tagged. Thank you, Steven, you’re the best. I appreciate it and I wish there was some way I can repay you for it.
Happy to oblige. Just keep reading and commenting. That’s payment enough.